Monday, May 7, 2018

88. Giving our ALL

Hey fam!

One more week down, and what an incredible week!

On Monday we had an awesome family night with some members here. Their names are Luis and Rosagnela. They have four daughters, and two of them are twins. Super funny and the spirit was so strong in their house. We emphasized the importance of daily reading of the Book of Mormon in family. The Area Presidency gave a devotional about this, so it is something we have been trying to teach in all of our lunches and dinners with the members. 

We also started teaching Claudir this week. He has had a rough life. Drugs, alcohol, etc. but lately has been wanting to change that. We taught him about the Restoration of the Gospel, the Book of Mormon, and about how the Gospel blesses our lives when we are obedient to the principles it teaches. We invited him to read 3 Nephi 11. The visit of the Savior in the American Continent. This chapter talks a lot about the Doctrine of Christ.

On Wednesday, Elder Barbosa was sick. We tried to find a member who could go on splits with us so we wouldn't miss our appointments, but it seemed like everyone was working and the young adults were all studying. Staying at the house is a lot more brutal than it seems. With nothing to do, I studied the scriptures and Preach My Gospel. It is funny how that after two years of studying the same things, I get new things out of it every day. That is because the real teacher is the spirit. 

On Friday we had our monthly Leadership Council. President focused on the importance of our daily study. Our daily study should be focused on the Doctrine of Christ. Nothing more, nothing less. (3 Nephi 11:39-40; Chapter 3 in Preach My Gospel) Our daily study is what enables us to be effective teachers. I love studying the gospel daily. It helps me make better decisions and helps me feel the spirit more abundantly.

This week was incredible because we were able to mark five baptismal dates with our investigators. Claudir, Shirley, Leia &Antonio, and Edson. Yesterday, everything was confirmed for all of them to go to church. We called several times and passed by making sure everything was set. The members here help us out quite a bit giving rides to the investigators who don´t have cars. As the members showed up, they didn´t have any of our investigators. I was pretty sad, and honestly, disappointed. But as I was taking the sacrament, I felt peace knowing that I did everything I could to help them. I did everything I was supposed to, and should be happy to know that. We can´t interfere in people´s agency. It made me think of a quote I read once in Elder M. Russell Ballard´s talk. 

"When man has offered in sacrifice all that he has for the truth’s sake, not even withholding his life, and believing before God that he has been called to make this sacrifice because he seeks to do His will, he does know, most assuredly, that God does and will accept his sacrifice and offering, and that he has not, nor will not seek his face in vain. Under these circumstances, then, hcan obtain the faith 
necessary for him to lay hold on eternal life."

If we have done everything in our power to sacrifice our will for the Lords, we can know that the Lord accepts our performance. I love this gospel and know it is true. Yes sacrificing our will is hard, but it is a privilege to sacrifice it. 

Amo voces!

Elder Nydegger 

Sorry no pictures. My memory card was stolen. :( Next week will have some! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

96. I'll Never Be the Same

Hey everyone!  The past few months/weeks, I have received lots of questions like, "Joe, what did you get out of your mission?"...