Hey everybody!
First week in the field was a success! I learned that missions are not easy, but I am having a great time! It is an awesome feeling to finally be sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ with the people of Brazil. My trainer´s name is Elder Soares! He is awesome, he is from Recife, and is the only person I know so far with a bigger family than mine. ha! There are eight kids in his family, and he is the only member. He has been a member for 4 years, and he has such a strong testimony! He is teaching me the ways of a missionary! My first area is São Jose. It is a small metropolitan area outside of Curitiba, I am loving it, the people are amazing!
I think I was truly humbled this week. The language is tough, but it is coming. I am working diligently with it, and the Gift of Tongues is real! If I continue to work hard, I know I will be able to speak this language!
I had a cool experience yesterday. Elder Soares and I were tracting in an area, and it was about time to leave and start making our way to members house for a lesson. I had a prompting to clap at one more house (here in Brazil, all the houses are gated, so you have to clap instead of knocking.) We clapped, and started talking to a man named João. He is Catholic and has a strong belief in Christ, but he was interested in where our church started, so we taught him about Joseph Smith, and the Restoration. He would like to hear more, so we are going to return later this week. I learned of the importance to follow promptings of the Holy Ghost. Whether you think it is just a thought or a prompting, all things prompting you to do good are from the Holy Ghost. Had we not tried this last house, who knows if João could have had another opportunity.
Yesterday we also had lunch at a member´s house. His name is Jose, and he is the nicest man. He has a big family, and he loves to cook. He wants to teach me how to make some of his favorite foods! The food was amazing! I don´t think I have tried a food yet that I haven´t liked! Brazilian food is amazing!
It is difficult to communicate with people, and often times I don´t understand what people are saying, but Elder Soares tells me that the women here think I am beautiful because of my blonde hair, and people are very interested in it. Often times they want to touch it. haha! But the people are great! They are so humble and kind. It is cool to see how little some of these families have, but how grateful and happy they are. I love the people!
I was reading this week in 1 Nephi 19. In verse 9, it talks about the Savior. He was spit upon, people scourged him, yet he suffereth all of it. The atonement was never easy for Him, yet He suffered because He loves us. As I read this, I connected it to missions. I know missions will not always be easy. However, the reasoning for that is probably because the Atonement was never easy for Jesus Christ. We can show our love back to him, by being obedient, working hard, and being dedicated.
I love you all, and am grateful for your prayers. Boa semana!
Elder Nydegger
P.S. We can finally send pictures, so these are pictures of my past 6 weeks
 |
| Spending the night in Atlanta on the way to Brazil. |
 |
| Lucas! |
 |
| Brazilian room-mates in the CTM. Elder A. Silva and Elder Caique de Silva. They are awesome! |
 |
| My companions, Elder Reid and Elder Herlin, and Brazilian room-mates, Elder Esguerda and Elder Cordeiro. |
 |
| Campinas Temple |
 |
| Companions and Elder Tobias (learning Spanish - going to Barcelona on his mission). |
 |
| Sao Paulo Temple |
 |
| Friend from Skyline, Elder Ostler |
 |
| Painting the Sao Paulo temple grounds green! |
 |
| My current area - Sao Jose |
 |
| Jose, who we had lunch with yesterday. |
 |
| Elder Soares, my trainer. I love him! |
No comments:
Post a Comment