Monday, January 29, 2018

72. Acting for Ourselves

Happy New Years everyoneeee!!

This week we had so much fun! We worked super hard and it wasn´t raining, so that is a win win!

Where to start... On Saturday night all of our appointments fell through, so we had a few hours to knock some doors and make some contacts. We were able to teach a man named Luis. He is from Angola and he is a lawyer! 

The highlight of the week was Sunday. Elder Armenta and I were tired, sweaty, walking under the 85 degree sun with 50% humidity, and raining on and off. We were a little dissapointed because our appointments had fallen through, but decided to try to knock some doors. On the last door we knocked, we found a woman named Julia. She lost her husband lately and was crying when she came to the door. We talked about the Plan of Salvation and marked to return that Wednesday.

When we returned she was there!! Finally an appointment that held through haha! We taught her more of the Plan of Salvation, and she accepted a baptismal date for the 27th of January. She also said she will be going to church tomorrow. Tonight we will be returning to confirm everthing with her!

Sunday night, President had everyone return home at 19:00 to weekly plan. After planning, we made a nice Brazilian Barbeque! It was pretty good. I made some farofa. It is hard to explain what it is, so maybe it is better to look it up haha. It was fun to talk about all of the memories and growth from 2017, and all of the goals and plans for 2018.

This week I went on splits with Elder Freitas and Elder Joglar. It was busy, but I was able to learn a lot. I love the opportunity I have to go on splits with missionaries because it gives me the opportunity to learn from them.

I love the start of a New Year. It almost feels like a new life at times! It is the time we should make several goals and plans so we can achieve our potential. It reminds me of what we need to do so we can experience this growth and progression. In 2 Nephi 2, we learn a lot about agency. Without agency, we can´t progress. We learn about two types of people. People who act and people who are acted upon. It reminds me of a phrase my dad told me once. "Control your destiny, or someone else will." If we want to grow, progress, and succeed, we need to act for ourselves. We need to decide what we want, and then act. Perhaps that means sacrificing something in the present to open up the future. We can choose what we want, but we can´t choose the outcome. If we choose to follow Jesus Christ, even when it is difficult, even when we are confused, we are acting with faith, and when we look back, we will see the progression and growth. I have such a strong testimony of this and know the importance we have of acting for ourselves and not being acted upon. May we all act and choose to follow Christ so this year can be one more year of growth, progression, and conversion! 

Love, 
Elder Nydegger

New Year's barbecue!

New Years Dinner!

Pipe it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

96. I'll Never Be the Same

Hey everyone!  The past few months/weeks, I have received lots of questions like, "Joe, what did you get out of your mission?"...