Tuesday, December 6, 2016

16: Bom Dia Amigos!

Bom Dia familia e amigos! I hope you all had a great week! Hard to believe that Christmas is just around the corner! Time has already flown by! It also is summer here, so kind of a difference. This week it poured rain almost everyday. It is kind of hard to work in the rain, but nevertheless it was an awesome week, and we had a lot of success! 

Last Monday, we celebrated Alesandro´s birthday. He is a less active member, and his daughter was baptized last month. We also were able to teach Silveiro and his family. We reconfirmed their baptismal date for this Friday! Elder Soares and I both are so excited, as we have seen them grow and change. They are ready. They are also very excited to finally become members of the church! 

On Tuesday we had a family night with some members and also less-actives. We originally had it planned for investigators also, but those plans fell. However, it was a great activity, and resulted in the less-active member returning to church. She also brought her daughter who we have been teaching. It was an awesome surprise for us.

On Wednesday and Thursday, we had another division, and I was able to work in an area called Colonio Rio Grande with Elder Oliveira. It was an awesome day, and we made lots of contacts! 

Friday and Saturday, were the days it rained the most. Like I said, it is a little hard to work in the rain, but we were able to teach our investigator Karen. Her baptismal had to be changed because she is traveling to Dubai this week. We taught her about the importance of studying the scriptures and praying. When we do these things, we will be protected from the troubling world. She also made it to church yesterday! She is leaving Brasil on a good note, and is excited to return, and continue learning!

I read a lot this week in Doctrine and Covenants. I was thinking of Joseph Smith and the powerful spirit and message that comes while teaching the Restoration of the Gospel. He was an extraordinary man! I read in D&C 122 when Joseph was in Liberty Jail. This section is very meaningful as Joseph was truly struggling. He had already been through so much, and was continuing to face trials. What really touched me was in verse 6 it is talking about some of his trials. It reads,  

“... and if with a drawn sword thine enemies tear thee from the bosom of thy wife, and of thine offspring, and thine elder son, although but six years of age, shall cling to thy garments, and shall say, My father, my father, why can’t you stay with us? O, my father, what are the men going to do with you?...”

He continues in verse 7..
“…know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.”

And to finish, in verse 9, the Lord says..
“Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee; for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever.”

These few verses are powerful to me, and shows me how dedicated Joseph was to the work. He truly was a prophet of God who restored the Church of Jesus Christ.

Have an awesome week! 
Elder Nydegger

Elder Aquino and I compare fitness

Picture of kittens for Lily!

Silveiro, Marines, Leo (pesquisadores) Sheila (recent convert)

Picture with Karen

Pedro, Lucas, Denise, Zinha

No comments:

Post a Comment

96. I'll Never Be the Same

Hey everyone!  The past few months/weeks, I have received lots of questions like, "Joe, what did you get out of your mission?"...