Monday, October 16, 2017

60. 7 Feet tall

Hey everyone. This week was another awesome week filled with lots of zone conferences, and we have another baptismal date. It was such a miracle! I will write about about later in my letter. 

To start this week off, we spent a few hours on Monday looking for some new investigators. We weren´t able to enter any homes at all, but we put in the effort that counts. It is such an amazing feeling to get home after a day of work, and to be able to tell yourself.. "I gave it my all today"

All right, back to the baptismal date.. We were sitting in church, when suddenly Martain came up to us. I think I have told you all about Martain. He is our investigator who is from Holland. He married a Brazilian, but doesn't speak much Portuguese. However, he does speak some English, so I have been able to teach in English the past few lessons! Back to the story on Sunday, so Martain came up to us, and whispered in our ears that he would like to be baptized! It was so awesome and we were soo excited for him! 

Martain had been struggling with a testimony of the Book of Mormon, and that is why he hadn't been accepting the baptism dates. He actually has read it three times, but hasn't been able to recognize his answer until now. Now that he recognizes it, it is the strongest part of his testimony which is amazing. Long story short, he has a baptismal date for the 24th of October.

Soo later Monday night, we went to Martain's house. Martain and his wife prepared dinner for us which was so nice of them. We then talked about the Plan of Salvation, and in the end marked a date. He accepted it, but then got all nervous because he thought being 7 feet tall, he wouldn't be able to be baptized hah! We assured him that he could sit down, or be on his knees.. He agreed to sit down. After figuring out how we would do it, he then basically said "I am the first from my family to live overseas, I am the first to get married, probably the only one who will marry a foreigner, and I am the first one to be baptized on my behind!" Imagine that in broken English. It was pretty funny, and everyone was laughing pretty hard. Haha Martain is awesome, and we are so excited for his baptism.

On Tuesday we spent another day looking for more investigators. We were able to make a few contacts, but unfortunately didn't find anyone new. We tried to visit our less active, Keidson, but he wasn't home. We went to Willens after this, and taught him. He has been struggling lately, and isn't very happy anymore. He doesn't feel like he fits in anywhere, and we are trying to help him out. He was able to watch all of the sessions of General Conference which was nice to hear.

We went to Luis and Anas last week. Funny thing, if you put those two names together in Portuguese, it sounds like you are saying Louisiana. They think that is pretty funny. We taught them about the Restoration. Luis actually remember that he was baptized in our church once, but had gone inactive because of the Word of Wisdom. We are hoping to bring him back, so he can baptize his wife, Ana. The spirit was strong in the lesson, so I know they could feel something also.

Last week we made hamburgers for lunch also which was super good. See the pictures below..

This week in my Book of Mormon reading, I was in the war chapters of Alma. I actually read something that really impressed me. In Alma 60, Moroni is sending an epistle (letter) to Pahoran, the Chief Governor of the Nephites at the time. In his letter he expressed his frustration for not having received more troops to help  in the war. He gives Pahoran a good reminder that says the following, 

"Or do ye suppose that the Lorwill still deliver us, while we sit upon our thrones and dnot make use of the means which the Lord has provided for us?" - Alma 60:21

We truly need to put in our effort if we want the Lord to "deliver" us. I also think that 'deliver' could be applied in many situations. For me, sometimes I truly pray for things, but sometimes forget that I need to put all my effort in if I want to be "delivered" It was a nice reminder for me, and it was a scripture I hadn't necessarily paid attention to before. I am grateful for the spirit in how he teaches us new things when we read the scriptures, and I am very grateful for the Book of Mormon! I am striving to have it as the strongest part of my testimony, just like Martain. Love you all soo much!!

Elder Nydegger

Lunch with office Elders




No comments:

Post a Comment

96. I'll Never Be the Same

Hey everyone!  The past few months/weeks, I have received lots of questions like, "Joe, what did you get out of your mission?"...